SEO, which stands for Search Engine Optimization, is quite the buzz-phrase nowadays. But what does it mean and why is it such a big deal? Search Engine Optimization is the process of making a website easily readable by search engines, such as Google and Yahoo! By focusing your SEO efforts you are able to control what information the search engines “read” on your website, and therefore what searches they will display your website for.
Saying that SEO is a constantly moving target is an understatement.
There are hundreds of factors that play into Search Engine rankings, and they are constantly changing. Each Search Engine uses their own “equations” to determine how a website ranks.
The most important things to know about the general SEO concept are as follows:
- There are no guarantees that you will be ranked #1. Anyone who promises you this is lying to you. You can PURCHASE ad space at the top of a Google Search page, but this is not the same as being ranked #1 in search engines.
- You are never “done” with SEO. Because the playing field is always changing, consumer habits alter, and your competitors are going to be vying for the same position, a successful SEO campaign is never really over.
Over the next few weeks we will focus on a few simple things that every website owner can do to improve their Search Engine Rankings. Look for topics like:
- How to determine the best Keywords for Search Engine Optimization campaigns.
- Top places to use your keywords for the best results.
- How fresh content affects your SEO.
- Paid vs. Organic SEO results.
Have a question about SEO that you’d like to have answered by a member of the team? Leave your question in the comments below and we’ll do our best to answer it for you!